RE: AuthorIT input

Subject: RE: AuthorIT input
From: "Tom Johnson" <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:40:12 -0400

I've used AuthorIt for a couple of projects. It was one of the cheapest ways
to build a help file (other than the barest of bones winhelp workshop). The
object model that they use is very interesting and has a lot of potential.

I was able to build a help file without too much difficulty, but I did find
AuthorIt to be a little hard to use for writing from scratch. The overhead
of adding each topic as an object took some time. I ended up writing in
Frame for the manual and then importing the manual into AuthorIt. That
created some other issues. If you are going to be able to reuse the
information for additional projects, the overhead may be worth the effort.

It does output to Word and you can work on the help files with Winhelp
Workshop, so the file format it isn't really "too" proprietary. You can get
the information in and out of other formats.

So, I've been a little bit disappointed, but I'm continuing to play around
with it because I think it will really prove beneficial with a project I'm
working on currently. So far I have maybe 30-40 hours working with it and I
don't think that is really a fair amount of time to make a final decision.

For Cathy,

I bought this for an independent project, but I'm am using my own experience
to evaluate it for possible inclusion into my day job. I think it has a lot
of potential, especially if the object model makes sense for your situation.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering/Star Cutter Company

231-264-5661 voice
231-264-5663 fax

Work johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
Personal thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at