RE: Lying About Salary - Results

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary - Results
From: "Scott Holstad" <SHolstad -at- ci -dot- knoxville -dot- tn -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:55:31 -0400

Hi All,

I asked a question about lying to interviewers about your salary if you're currently paid well below market. The responses have been strong and interesting.

* All but one person strongly advocated total honesty in salary. (Even at the possible cost of 30K per year.)

* One person stated I should simply refuse to provide any salary information.

Regarding the second response, I have tried that tactic and found myself in a situation where I was told then that the interview was at an end - and I was out of the job candidate pool. So, I'm curious. Have others found themselves in this type of situation, and if so, how have they handled it?

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll do the right thing. Have a good weekend.

Scott