"Classified" Security Clearance

Subject: "Classified" Security Clearance
From: dana saad <dsaad -at- attcanada -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:12:11 -0400

Hi All,

I am recently unemployed after a year's stint at a company where I worked on a military-affiliated project. Tech writers at the company require both NATO Security Clearance and Canadian level 5 "Top Secret" clearance.

The material was 'highly classifed' and, as a result, I can't actually show samples of my work to future employers. While I can name the customer, I cannot discuss any of the work I did in detail.

The most I can do is list the various types of manuals I worked on, the software I used and such generic duties as "coverted docs from Word and Pagemaker to FrameMaker, revised and updated a large training package including x y & z manuals and training materials,..." etc. I can also discuss the company's product and the company itself.

This was my first job as a tech writer. My portfolio is based solely around tools (such as Frame, Robohelp, Visio, etc.) and my ability to use them. I don't have any portfolio pieces that come from real jobs in the field. I'm worried about this potential weakness in my portfolio coupled with my piddly 1-year of experience.

I'm putting together a portfolio piece that shows exactly how I used Frame on the job (i.e. compiling chapters into a book, generating lists and TOC, headings, etc.) but that's my only idea so far.

Any comments, opinions, suggestions, advice, ideas???

Christine