RE: Documents I'd like to see...

Subject: RE: Documents I'd like to see...
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:28:01 -0500

Robin,

I think one reason for this is that we expect our users to go out and invent
new uses for our products. That is, we don't necessarily know all the
potential uses our product may have, so we document how it works, and leave
the rest to end users.

Our product here at SchlumbergerSema is a good example. We manufacture RF
LAN technology. Our manuals tell how to install and configure the network
components, which were originally intended for use by utilities in
monitoring electric/water/gas consumption. But some end users have used the
technology to create test systems that monitor parking meters, or the fill
level on vending machines. I, at least, would never have thought of these
uses.

Once the user knows the basics of how to use the product, they'll come up
with unique ways to use/extend it. Inventing new uses for existing
technologies is practically a way of life here in the States. Look at the
guys who put weed-trimmer engines on those ubiquitous scooters, or the way
HTML has "evolved" from a mark-up language to a layout tool (however poor).

Just my opinion, of course.

Dan

Dan Hall
Sr. Technical Writer
SchlumbergerSema GTSRN

All the opinions, errors, sarcasm, and wit (if any) expressed in this
e-mail are solely mine. SchlumbergerSema takes neither credit nor blame