Re: On the Fence/Writing for Journals

Subject: Re: On the Fence/Writing for Journals
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:03:04 -0500

Wondered if you were still Out There, George.

>Some people may not like the situation I've described here, and they're
>certainly entitled to their opinions on the subject. And people are
>certainly entitled to their opinions about the various organizations
>that publish journals in our field. Some contributors to this list are
>not the least bit reluctant to share their opinions about those
>organizations.
>
>But no one should mistake opinions for facts. We wouldn't last very long
>as technical communicators if our descriptions of how to operate
>software were based on our opinion of how it should work.

I think what's caused a lot of the heartburn/misconceptions on this topic
is that journals of technical communication are fundamentally different
from the "normal" journals in one respect. The biochemistry journals don't
ask a biochemist to do biochemical research for free, the History journals
don't ask historians to research history for free, etc. They ask them to
write about what they have already been paid to do.

In the case of TW/TC, the journals ask contributors to actually do for free
the job they're normally paid to do. And that's the sticking point for a
lot of people. It's what led to Andrew's comment about asking an accountant
to do your taxes for free. As writers, we write. That's our skill and
that's what we ask people to pay for. Writing for free can therefore seem a
little "out of character," if you know what I mean.

Other journals ask people to write for free about what they have been
compensated for doing. TC journals ask people to do for free what they
usually get compensated for doing.

I have nothing against that, per se, but I've come to realize I have not
enough time to participate in that sort of adventure, and (important skill,
this) have learned to say "no," when someone asks.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224