Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:24:22 -0500

A decided problem. I've been invited twice to put together a piece (I'll
forgo naming the publications involved because they aren't really relevant
to my point) and on both occasions I found I couldn't justify the time
taken away from the rest of my life. The second time I really tried to do
it; after all, I really liked the guy (still do) who asked for it, and I
honestly wanted to do something for him, but he (editor/publisher/whatever,
choose your own term, one fits about as well as the other, and in some
respects, as badly) was wise enough to recognize that I wasn't able to give
it the time it really deserved, and we agreed to drop it.

I know the dilemma you're facing. I have a day job, so any extra projects I
take on can't have that time. I also have a couple of other ventures for
which I burn the midnight oil, only peripherally related to TW. And I have
a family. We all have more things competing for our time and interest than
we can squeeze into a day, so something has to give.

That's the call you need to make. Yes, there's a certain amount of ego-boo
involved in seeing your name in your profession's magazine. The magazine
counts on that, because they're generally being asked to operate on a
budget that consists of a baloney sandwich and a glass of skim milk, and
there's no way they could afford to pay what the article is worth. But your
life is valuable, too. You have to weigh the time against the ego stroke,
factor in any value you think it might have in advancing your reputation
(which is what will lead to your next job) and make your call. For each of
us the balance point is different, so no one but yourself is qualified to
make that decision.

How much is your time worth to you?

How much is the reputation enhancement worth?

ya pays yer money an ya takes yer cherce.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224