RE: Resume land mines (was For those who hire... what makes ares ume stand out)

Subject: RE: Resume land mines (was For those who hire... what makes ares ume stand out)
From: "Dia Blankenship" <dia -at- teknolutionary -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:34:12 -0400

> Leave out the objectives, yes. The interests, no. Just my two cents.

Which, as usual, proves it's really a crap shoot at best...

Some people like objectives and hate in on resumes. Others vice versa.
It's all a matter of personal taste and organizational culture.

Personally, I LOVE to get resumes with objectives. Not the 'challenging
position with potential for growth" variety, of course. But a *real*
objective that's *very specific*. When I get one like that, I feel like
this person is actually telling me what they are looking for, not just
trying to avoid file 13 in as many places as possible. It may not match
what I'm looking for, but that's the point -- we both know it isn't a good
fit right from the start. And even if they don't match, I rarely throw toss
them -- I have lots of friends in the business who may be looking for
exactly that match next week..

On the other hand, I agree about interests. There's more to life than work
and I want people who know that too.

-D