RE: The Bunny Hopped Out of Here.

Subject: RE: The Bunny Hopped Out of Here.
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:50:39 -0400

When I got back from a training day and found
that that had happened to me, I restrained myself
from storming into the newbie's cubicle and
demanding my "property" back. I arranged to be
present when the manager visited the newbie's
cubicle. I said: "Something fell down behind
your monitor."
Newbie stood up to look.
I slid chair back, flipped it over and silently
pointed to the P-Touch label with my name on it.
As the newbie stumbled back -- not finding a
chair under his butt -- I fixed him with my
best withering glare, then turned to the manager
and asked (through only slightly gritted teeth):
"He won't ever again touch my stuff without
my EXPRESSED permission, will he?"

Newbie harrumphed unconvincingly and backpedalled.
Manager suppressed grin, and frowned disapprovingly
at newbie. Newbie did not last past probation
period.

Moral 1: don't just document your procedures...
document your STUFF, too. :-)

Moral 2: don't just pick your battles... TIME
your battles carefully.

Moral 3: righteous indignation is best played
calmly and quietly -- with just a slight
edge -- and with a "more in sorrow than
in anger" nuance.

Moral 4: if you don't want to go through that kind
of thing, then to hell with the clean-desk
policy... make your cube/office look lived-in :-)

/kevin