RE: Clarify Agency Notices? ... no, really

Subject: RE: Clarify Agency Notices? ... no, really
From: "SHIELDS,SUSAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <susan_shields2 -at- hp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 15:18:52 -0400

Kevin McLauchlan asked:
>So, now I'm wondering if any of the rest of you ever
>takes it upon yourselves to explain/annotate such
>boilerplate text in your user docs.

Depends on who generated the boilerplate.

* If it came from the government, I don't change it. I used to document a
system created
under contract to the Department of Defense. They took an extraordinarily
dim view of
ordinary folk changing their boilerplate.

* If it has legal implications, I defer to the company
keeper-of-liabilities.

* If the first two restrictions don't weed out the boilerplate, I'd be
inclined to edit.