Word scrolls too fast?

Subject: Word scrolls too fast?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:45:48 -0400

"Red Sox" wonders: <<Is there any way to make Word scroll slowly when you're
selecting text? I have to select several long paragraphs across different
pages to do word counts and it's turned into an impossible task. I've found
no way of making Word stop where I want it to or scroll slow enough that I
can see where to stop.>>

The easiest way to handle this problem is to learn to use the keyboard
shortcuts for selection. You probably already know that holding down the
Shift key lets you select blocks of text while you scroll. What you might
not know is that you can combine holding down the Shift key with a few
additional keystrokes to select text without ever lifting your fingers from
the keyboard:
- Control plus Right or Left arrow: select an entire word (moving right or
left, respectively) from the current cursor position. Word defines the edges
as "words" using spaces or punctuation.
- Control plus Up or Down arrow: Select an entire paragraph (moving up or
down, respectively) from the current cursor position.
- Control plus Page Up or Page Down: Select an entire screen (moving up or
down, respectively) from the current cursor position.
- Home or End (Shift key only, no Control key): select from current cursor
position to (respectively) the beginning or end of the line. If you hold
down the Control key too, you select to the beginning or end of the
document.

Repeat as necessary, and when you come to the end of the section you need to
select, you can back up using the arrow keys if you've overshot the mark.
You can also do noncontiguous selections in Word, but I haven't tried doing
this because I find it more confusing than helpful in the majority of cases.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein