What is This Functionality Called?

Subject: What is This Functionality Called?
From: "Carol Anne T. Wall" <mmpc0014 -at- pclink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:37:37 -0500

I have a new "what's this function's name" question. You guys were so helpful with "auto-fill", I thought I'd pick your brains again.

Disclaimer: Yes, I have checked the MS Manual of Style and have picked the brains of my programmers. We're all stumped.

Question: What do you call the function where you type a letter and the first item in your combo box that corresponds to that letter displays. If you select that letter again, the next item with that same letter displays, if there is a second item in your list. The users want this functionality documented, but it's hard to document something you can't name.

Example: A combo box that lists the states of the United States. If I press "M", I will get the first state that starts with the letter "M". If I keep pressing "M", each subsequent state displays (or is highlighted) in the combo box.

TIA for your help!

Carol Anne

Carol Anne Wall, FLMI, CL
Technical Writer, Minnesota Life Ins. Co. - Individual Business Technology
St. Paul, MN USA
mmpc0014 -at- pclink -dot- com