RE: Translation Memory System

Subject: RE: Translation Memory System
From: Rick Kirkham <rkirkham -at- seagullscientific -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:14:45 -0700

Susan wrote:

> Oh - very good at twisting words here! No, that's the opposite of what I'm
> saying. If you hang out on a similar mailing list to this one aimed at=20
> translators, you will hear just how common it is for inferior memories
to=20
> make the rounds - and for translators to be locked with choices made=20
> previously that are not acceptable.

I wasn't twisting. I was pointing out an implication of your own remarks
that you didn't seem to see: If all translators were fully competent, then
they would only rarely make unacceptable choices, so there wouldn't be any
bad translation memories. So the fact that there are bad TMs means there are
bad translators. And the fact that there are bad translators means that
Frank's company needs to have their TM delivered back to them in text or TMX
format so they are free to shop for a new translator next time in the event
their first translator turns out to be one of those less competent ones.