Re: Docs for profit? (Being recognized as the experts.)

Subject: Re: Docs for profit? (Being recognized as the experts.)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:58:35 -0700 (PDT)

> places, is not
> done in accordance with good technical writing practices.>>

What "good technical writing practices" are they violating? To be
honest, of the 7 or more writing gigs I've had in the last 10 years,
aside from my own personal writing practices (how I manage my
actions), none of them followed any "practices" that were similar,
let alone the same and for the most part, the clients were very
pleased with the result.

Last night, I was updating my portfolio for an interview that I had
today and what struck me was that everything looked different;
different look, different feel, different design, layout,
presentation, and approach. It seems if there is this "good technical
writing practice", that two or more of them should have had something
in common.

Everything starts with the user. From their requirements is the
writing designed. Therefore, if the users are different, then the
writing will be different.

In the strictest sense, everything done for "Project A" is under the
management of the Project Manager...hence, the name.

In the end, the project's success falls on their shoulders. They may
try to pass the buck, but you'll be safe because you are documenting
your recommendation and when they look at you, you'll whip out your
correspondence. Other than that, your job is to product a
deliverable. Complaining that it isn't done according to "good
technical writing practice" will not be a valid reason why on
delivery date, you have nothing to deliver.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://auctions.yahoo.com/