Re: The Bunny Hop

Subject: Re: The Bunny Hop
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:52:12 -0700

Michele Marques wrote:

> I was in an interview where someone looked askance at my having worked at
> one company for 8 years. Some people worry that you are stagnating if you're
> not moving around.

When I've hired, I've found that contractors or people who have had a
variety of jobs are generally more versatile, more used to
responsibility, and more justifiably confident in their abilities. So, I
tend to look at such people more favorably. I justify this preference on
the grounds that I have usually been hiring a sub-contractor or an
addition to a small writing team - for positions in which a narrow focus
would probably be a drawback. However, maybe I just like to have people
around me who share my background?

That's not to say that I would automatically reject someone who had been
at the same job for over five years. My decision would depend on what
the candidate had been doing for that period of time.

If the candidate had a wide variety of responsibiliites in that time, or
perhaps been in several different positions in the same company, then a
long-term position wouldn't worry me. However, if a candidate had done
much the same thing for over five years, I'd wonder about his or her
adaptibility, flexibility, and general knowedge.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Yes, it's hard love, but it's love just the same,
Not the stuff of fantasy, but more than just a game,
And the only kind of miracle that's worthy of the name,
For the love that heals our lives is mostly hard love."
- Bob Franke, "Hard Love" (as sung by June Tabor)