RE need advice

Subject: RE need advice
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:54:46 -0600

> Subject: need advice
> From: "Pankaj Sharma" <punky_in -at- rediffmail -dot- com>
> Date: 16 May 2001 06:37:06 -0000

> I am new to tech writing and would wanna know wat r the tools one
has to be comfortable > in to get a break as a Tech writer. I am based
at Bangalore in India.
> thanks,

The correct answer is, as someone else pointed out, what are employers
in your part of the world looking for. There is no point in putting a
lot of effort into learning MS Word if 90% of the employers in your
area are looking for people with some background in some version of
WordPerfect. On the other hand, if 90% are looking for background in
MS Word, you'd be nuts to not learn it.

For what it's worth, in my corner of the world the two most commonly
requested tools are Word and Framemaker.

I've been doing reasonably well with just Word, though I could also
step in if a potential client wanted WordPerfect. And I do have some
plans to build some Framemaker expertise in the not too distant
future.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer