Re: WebHelp and external linked files - to be placed on web

Subject: Re: WebHelp and external linked files - to be placed on web
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:22:16 -0700 (PDT)

> I have a question which although sounding stupid has caused us much pain and
> suffering and sharp words - Is there a way to generate webhlep / online Help
> and documents using Linked / imported *.chm Files . If so how ? there must
> be a solution -I just cannot see it - (To close to the problem maybe?)

I don't know how helpful this will be, especially as I haven't worked with .chm
files in about a year and a half, but I know that you *can* link into a .chm
file from an HTML file. What you cannot do (at least, to the best of my
knowledge) is link to it in such a fashion that will cause it to display its
corresponding TOC/Index/Search/Favorites tabs. But, you can "pull out" the HTML
content of an individual topic.

What this means is that while you can display the HTML topic in the .chm file
in your webhelp system, you won't be able to display the corresponding TOC.
This means that unless there are links to the other topics in the .chm file,
that's the end of the road. They would not be able to navigate to other topics
in the .chm file from there.

The syntax for linking into a .chm file from an uncompiled .html file is the
same as making links from one .chm file into another:

where the information in braces {} is replaced with corresponding values, and
where "html" is replaced with "htm" or other file extensions as necessary.

While I was working on a 63 .chm-file project, I created an application that
found broken external links (links that originate in one .chm file and point to
a topic in another). If you opt for decompiling the existing .chm files in
order to link to their contents, you may find this application useful for
finding broken links. If you go this route, please let me know, and I will send
you the program.

If you have any other questions, or want me to expand on anything I have
presented here, please let me know.

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com