RE: Interviewing Subject Matter Experts

Subject: RE: Interviewing Subject Matter Experts
From: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:31:18 -0500

John Fleming wrote:

>>Morons or not, those SMEs have information I need
to do my job, and it is much easier to get that information
if I treat them with a certain amount of respect.<<

Respect, flattery, and praise will often get a lot more results than demands
for information. Praise is the best technique I have found for getting
continued help and building relationships with SMEs.

I often send an e-mail to the project manager giving the status of the
project. In this e-mail, I try to praise the SME's helpfulness, promptness,
technical knowledge, or whatever (sometimes you have to dig deep) and say
I'm looking forward to working with the SME to complete the project. Then I
copy the SME and the SME's boss.

Usually the SME really does appreciate the acknowledgement. This can
reinforce a good working relationship, and sometimes can turn around a bad
one.

Sarah Newman
BECHTEL CORPORATION
Information Systems and Technology