OT?: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: OT?: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:12:17 -0400

I find it very interesting that more of us indicated we frequently read
accompanying documentation. Are we serious or are we just stroking our
professional egos? *g*

I'll admit it, I *HATE* reading user manuals. Why? Because most of them are
poorly-written and light on detail. This may be a bit snobby of me to say,
but this is exactly why I went into this kind of work... because I know
(read: think) *I* can do a better job. I know I can't speak for everyone,
but I'm sure there's a bit of that presumption in every one of us (else why
would we curse the directions when we *do* read them). ;) But I will say...
and my wife can certainly back me up on this because she hates it when I do
this... when I find a well-written manual, I parade it around to anyone who
is interested (well that's a lie... to anyone and everyone nearby *g*)
spewing the glories contained within the saintly text! :)

So, do I RTFM? Occasionally... when I'm really, really stuck (or if the wife
will have my head if I break whatever it is I'm tinkering with). But like
some others have already confessed, I play first. I don't learn by reading.
Any of my former teachers will tell you that. I get my hands dirty and
question question question! Maybe I should have gone into QA, as I love to
play with things until they break. ;) Nah, then it'd be more like work, and
who wants to do that? *vbg*

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N