RE: "Persist" as a transitive verb? <gack!>

Subject: RE: "Persist" as a transitive verb? <gack!>
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:22:19 -0700

Roy Jacobsen wrote:

| My objection isn't to the word "persist" or "persistence." It's the use
| of an intransitive verb as transitive. I'm suggesting the wording change
| to "the information must be persistent" or "the information must be made
| persistent."

Your wording is obviously more standard English. However, "persist" as a
verb and even "persistify" are rather common locutions among OOP folks.
Depending on for whom the materials are written, the audience might actually
be more comfortable with the less standard usage, much as it grates.

Regards,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHelp MVP & Certified RoboHelp Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, Sun's JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Member, eHelp's RoboHelp Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users