RE: So you call yourself an architect? - OT

Subject: RE: So you call yourself an architect? - OT
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:41:06 +0200

At 11:57 PM 07-05-01, david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

> Actually, French was a language created for the political
> purpose of unifying France.

Wrong. The language existed centuries before the state or the nation existed.

> It is the first known example of language planning.

Wrong again. "Language-planning started during the latter half of the seventeenth century. The pioneers were Scottish and English scholars." F Bodmer, 'The Loom of Language'.

> Correct French was promulgated by a wide variety of institutions.

[English, German, Spanish, insert language here] was promulgated by a wide variety of institutions. What is the point of this truism in this context?

> The language purity laws are still at work controlling French.

Yes, legislation exists. The idea that it "controls" the language is fatuous.

Sorry to continue an OT thread, but defamatory and/or false statements should not stand unchallenged. If anyone would like to comment further, I ask that it be offline.

John Cornellier
tech writer
Norway