Re: New tech writer employment tips?

Subject: Re: New tech writer employment tips?
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 22:12:08 -0700

Regina Lynn Preciado <rlp -at- wwwritingonline -dot- com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> As for tools, it's easy to "borrow" software from a friend who has
> her own so you can learn the programs.

(*snip*)

While this is a way, there are others ... including stores like Half
Priced Books, where I picked up a copy of FrameMaker 4.x and RoboHelp
for ~$49 and $89, respectively. Using these older pieces of software
you can pay the upgrade price for the full version at a later time.
Make sure you check the upgrade requirements for the new software
before you buy anything, though.

There are also training through the "Idiots" and the "Dummies" books
on various pieces of software ... and the folks at Icon Logic also
offer some comprehensive books/CD packages, including one on RoboHelp.

... and don't forget the Learning Annex (www.learningannex.com) or its
analogs in various states and such ...

(*snip*)

> A good project for learning RoboHELP is to write instructions for a
game,
> complete with TOC and Index (thanks Mary for the idea!).

This *is* a good idea --! The tutorial that comes with RoboHelp is
good ... but doing your own project is better.

> HTML you can learn in a day for free using Webmonkey, DevHead, or
> Project Cool. Or buy Laura Lemay's "Web Publishing with HTML in 21
> Days" book.

Fifty bucks buys you an online course at www.hwg.org ... with a
certificate to show that you attended the course. Sometimes the piece
of paper is important ... which in this case, you don't get if you
can't Do.

(*snip*)

> One last note -- all my tech writing gigs have come through
> networking, both in person and online.

My networking skills need work --! :o\

> Hope this helps!

--gdw

> Regina

"A host is a host from coast to coast
& no one will talk to a host that's close
Unless the host (that isn't close)
is busy, hung or dead!"
--The Network Admin's Lament