Re: RE: New tech writer employment tips?

Subject: Re: RE: New tech writer employment tips?
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 20:32:11 -0700

"Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com> wrote:

> As best I can tell, there is, and will probably always be a shortage
of TWs
> who know code. If you have any interest in documenting software,
learning
> common languages like C, C++, and Java will likely benefit you the
most
> (lots of XML these days too). You don't need to be a full-fledged
coder, but
> knowing the syntax and structure will give you skills that many TWs
don't
> have.

(*snip*)

I am contemplating starting another certificate program at the school
I got my TW certificate from, Bellevue Community College. They are
here:

http://www.conted.bcc.ctc.edu/techcomm.htm

They are offering a new program entitled "Programmer/Writer" (165
total required hours, plus electives). There are two tracks: one
for practicing tech writers/editors, the other for programmers and
testers.

The Tech Writer's track includes --

15 Writing for Technical Audiences
15 Software Engineering for Technical Writers
15 Overview of Computer Programming for Technical Writers
15 Visual Basic for Technical Writers
15 C++ for Technical Writers

24 C Programming Level 1
24 C Programming Level 2
24 C++ Programming

09 HTML Level 1
09 HTML Level 2

165 Total required hours

Next you add in a few electives --

32 Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic 6.0
06 Groanless Grammar: Writing Skills Tune-Up
06 Powerlistening and Notetaking
07 Word Level 3
07 XML Level 1
06 Creating Superior Indexes (1-day workshop recommended for writers)
15 Becoming a Professional Indexer (5-week course recommended for
editors)

"Students should take one of the following sets of courses, depending
on the second language they want to acquire --"

36 Mastering Visual Basic 6 Fundamentals 15 Java for Technical
Writers
36 Mastering Visual Basic 6 Development 24 Java Programming

72 Total for Visual Basic option 39 Total for Java option

-- and you have a lot of classes.

The problem I forsee: most of the programmer/writer positions seem to
require 3 years experience before they'll even look at you (at least,
that's how it seems up here in the Pacific North Wet) ... so if I
finish this program, will I be employable? :o\

On the other hand, BCC offers several classes in XML beyond what is
listed in the course options I copied-and-pasted above ... so since
XML is so new, that might be the best way to go.

Sorry to sound like a commercial for my "old" school, but ....

--gdw

Things that make you go "Hmmmm ...." Department:

"Come the millennium, month 12, In the home of greatest power, the
village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the leader."

--Nostradamus, 1555

Hmmmm .....