Re: From Word to FM

Subject: Re: From Word to FM
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:30:39 -0500

WIth all the talk about the impotance of tools.... I am just beginning to
teach myself FrameMaker in my current job. I have been through a few
tutorials from the Adobe site and would like to try bringing my
some-200-page document from Word into a book in FM. I have begun a new
document and started by copying and pasting special... as text. A regular
copy/paste copies the entire selection as an object. I tried an import, and
I received an error. I also have numerous screen shots in this document.
What is the best way to bring those over, as well? They are saved in the
Word document (not linked). Should I try a link from file in FM?

Like I said, I am just starting in FM, so I would appreciate any advice you
have in my attack.

Paige,

The bad news is that the import filters that accompany FrameMaker have been less than effective since the program was first published.

The good news is that there are some answers.

1. Save the Word file as RTF.
2. Import into FrameMaker using the RTF _Japanese_Import Format.

I hope you still have the original screen captures. If not, simply save the Word document as HTML. All of the screen captures will be exported as .GIF or something similar. Import these files by reference, into your FrameMaker files. Do not copy paste or drag and drop the graphics. The import by reference is the best way, smaller final file size, and you can easily change graphic.

Finally, subscribe to the FrameUsers newslist. Goto http://www.FrameUsers.com.

Scott