Good Children's Dictionary?

Subject: Good Children's Dictionary?
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:09:05 -0700

This may be off topic but I figure that a few of you have either helped
write/edit a children's dictionary or researched them.

I'm looking for a good children's dictionary (American English) for a second
grader who is an avid reader. He's just finished the last of the Harry
Potter series.

This past weekend, I watched him read a few pages of his latest Harry Potter
book and he has no trouble reading the words, but I discovered that he
doesn't understand the meaning of some of them. He has no trouble
pronouncing new words correctly and quickly but when I asked him the meaning
of a few words he didn't know. (I'd tell you that this boy is my older
grandson but I wouldn't want any of you to stereotype this older male who is
also ex-military - USAF.)

During lunch, I stopped by the local Barnes and Noble and they have several
children's dictionaries so I thought I'd ask you techwhirlers about your
opinions of children's dictionaries you may have encountered.

Any comments would be appreciated.

If you don't want to tie up bandwidth on the LISTSERV you can reply to me
directly.

Thanks.

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com
Pittsburgh Data Center

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.