RE: Making them read the documentation

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:42:24 -0500

Luanne said:
> always refer the user to the manual

Actually, the Paradox people tried that. They would asked me if I read the
manual. Of course, I did. And, I could tell them what was missing from their
manuals. Sometimes the content isn't in the manual.

This approach will make people angry. The problem with technical support is
that 80% of the problems are easy. The other 20% are over the tech reps
head. Some of these problems come from the use of the product beyond it's
intended use. I was using Paradox to record document content. It wasn't
designed for that.

Some of the calls are coming from alliterates. Get used to it. Referencing
the manual will not make these callers go away.

David

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.