RE: Making them read the documentation

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:24:14 -0400

Sierra,

Making them read the documentation is as likely as enforcing prohibition.
It can't be done.

All of the other responses to this questions are relevant, useful, and in
some cases extremely witty. But there's another point that gets missed
here. If users aren't reading the documentation, it is often because it's
completely irrelevant. Either the design is so good that traditional doc is
unnecessary (if so I have bridge in Brooklyn that I want to unload), or it's
because your users follow other routes. Are they asking their neighbors?
Are they blowing up the network with their experiments? Are they shoving the
task off on somebody who is comfortable? Traditional documentation simply
can't address those kinds of user support scenarios.

Don't just ask the users about the documentation, ask them about the
product. Does it let them do their job more easily? more quickly? How many
post-it notes are stuck up on the monitor? It usually means that it's a
task that is not intuitive, or seldom used. So then go back to the
engineers and tell them. Maybe a wizard is a better answer. Maybe tooltips
or context-sensitive help is the right support solution. The point is don't
wait until the product is in release to find out how to support the users.
Design a better product--and you have as much to contribute to that process
as the engineers.

MTC

She who believes techwhirlers are really product designers
Connie Giordano