Re: advice needed: client problem

Subject: Re: advice needed: client problem
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:13:17 -0700

Dia Blankenship wrote:

> Today, I get another call from the boss stating that he's had his team
> review the document and they have indicated it would be publicly and
> professional embarrassing for him to publish this document. He's indicated
> that he doesn't feel this was my fault and he knows that I worked hard on
> this for him, but ultimately, he's just going to have his team write this
> thing in a hurry and rush it to the publisher.

The client botched the deal, not you. He was given plenty of opportunity to
change the document well ahead of the deadline. When he gave his internal people
a chance to review it, they probably pointed out something nobody else had
thought of - perhaps he was espousing a cause which has been debunked in the
industry, or assuming the validity of some facts which have recently changed, or
something like that. Whatever the reason, his change of plans has nothing to do
with the fact that you did a professional job in taking the document as far as
you could. Because you delivered what you believed to be a final draft, or
nearly so, I'd charge for the full job and not look back. You can't predict
these situations, but you certainly shouldn't accept responsibility for them.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.