RE: Not again: certification?

Subject: RE: Not again: certification?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:35:12 -0400

The pros and cons of TW certification are pretty well-illustrated with the
certification test you can take at Brainbench.com. The advantage is a test
that can screen for basic skills, provides a refresher when you need it, and
provides a simple, object benchmark.

The cons are that within the questions, methodology is more important than
real-world content, and that methodology tends to rely overly much on one or
two experts. In addition, I found some terminology, such as storyboarding a
bit confusing, because storyboarding has a different connotation for those
of us who came out of marketing and advertising.

BTW, I scored at the Master level, but I haven't seen any promotions or
raises as a result ;)

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb