RE: The Engineer's Iron Ring

Subject: RE: The Engineer's Iron Ring
From: "Ken Poshedly" <Ken_Poshedly/Parts/ProductSupport/GA/KFI -at- kfiusa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:32:04 -0400

The quill pen seems to be fairly common as the THE representative symbol
for the writer/note-taker.

My college ring (Kent State, 1974) includes a silver quill on the blue
stone; bachelor of science, journalism (radio-tv news). Since then, I've
worked as a newspaper reporter, public relations rep (American Red Cross),
publications editor, advertising copywriter (ptooooeeee!!!!) and -- for the
past 17 or so years -- a technical writer (perhaps the most rewarding
choice yet).

Oh, I forgot to include "LOTS of unemployment" in the 1970s (major world
recession from 1974 onward) and early 1980s and because everybody thinks
they know my job. I've parked cars, drove a taxicab and worked in a
plastics manufacturing factory to get through school and/or make money to
pay bills afterwards. At one job interview, I actually was told that the
friend or acquaintance of the editor's son or daughter who dabbled in
fiction writing or something was going to be hired -- but I was a close
second.

So, you need a lawyer? Hire a lawyer, You need a doctor? Hire a doctor. You
need a tech writer? Hire your
sister's/daughter's/friend's/uncle's/brother-in-law's son who has a degree
in medieval literature but does their church newsletter.

Also, to the one asking if he or she would find the STC conference worth
it, just GO. No matter what you read here (even some of the most sarcastic
comments and put-downs), you're bound to learn much at the conference --
especially if you're new to the field.

Afterwards, make up your own mind for next year.

-- Ken Poshedly
Tech Pubs Supervisor
Komatsu Forklift USA &
DataKom Publishing Corp.