Re: Certification (was: Response to comments about AnnualConference Program)

Subject: Re: Certification (was: Response to comments about AnnualConference Program)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:23:45 -0700

> My objection to the STC running a certification program is that I question
> their authority to do so. They are not an officially recognized governing
> body for this industry.

This is probably the main problem with certification. To be meaningful,
it probably requires some centralized governing body. In the Linux
community, there are several companies that offer certification, but
nobody is sure how to judge their programs because each company is free
to organize its programs as its pleases. And, naturally, in each
company, there has to be a conflict between keeping certification
meaningful and not failing too many people and producing unsatisfied
customers.

I infer that parts of the STC would like to be a governing body; at
least, much of that organization seems to assume that it already is and
to act accordingly. However, the STC shows no signs of being able to
organize itself enough to actually assume that position - and I, for
one, am rather glad of the fact. Nor is any other group likely to gain
those powers.

I personally don't see any likelihood of certification succeeding - I
can simply see some reasons why it might be useful for clients and new
writers. Like Bryan, I don't have a use for it myself. I'm an
established writer, and the time when certification might have been
useful to me is past.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"And Tyler smiles, Tyler smiles,
At an angry crowd stretching miles and miles,
Six hundred years, and the lesson wasn't learned."
- Attila the Stockbroker, "Tyler Smiles (22nd November, 1990)"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.