Re: Conference Proceedings

Subject: Re: Conference Proceedings
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:13:36 -0400

At 08:01 AM 04/16/2001 -0700, Jeff Hanvey wrote:

In academic circles, using proceedings is generally
frowned upon because they generally only publish
abstracts of the presentations, not details. While
this may be good for an overview, rarely does a pro-
ceeding offer any valuable insights into the field itself.

I have never been to a conference solely devoted to technical writing, so my experiences may be of no value here. However, at the conferences which I've attended, the binders were very useful in their own right (although obviously of no comparison to having also seen and heard the actual presentation).

Moreover, most technical conferences also provide a disk containing anything applicable which the featured speakers chose to contribute. For example, when I spoke about creating a toolkit of generic procs/utils, the binder contained a brief synopsis and description of each of my procs/utils, and the disk contained the complete toolkit.

As previously mentioned, the binder alone pales in comparison with attending the conference and seeing/hearing the presentations, but is usually considerably better than nothing. Even if you don't understand something, many things will pique your interest, and you can always contact the speaker should you wish to do so.

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com