RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:24:50 -0400

We tried to do something very similar to this at Help University a couple of
years ago. The only problem was that people stayed away in droves. At the
local Boston STC conference (InterChange), we had a couple of GREAT
technical sessions by Jim Currie on client- and server-side functions. No
one showed up.

Look at the numbers:

Conference - average attendance

InterChange - 250
Help U - 350
WinWriters - 1,100
STC - 3,500

It all boils down to numbers, folks ... and if you start to narrowcast, you
will get fewer attendees, and if you get fewer attendees, you go broke.

STC gives its membership more or less what they want. I would like to see
more technical presentations, too, but they appeal to too few people. We try
and hold 'em, you don't show up, we stop holding 'em.

If you want technical content, you go to a technical conference. You want
writer-oriented content, you go to a writer conference.

What does SIGDOC do? What do they draw?

And where ARE you technical guys who want technical content going to learn
your stuff?

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager