RE: Technology in the hands of infidels

Subject: RE: Technology in the hands of infidels
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:32:09 -0400

The debate about whether or not Yahoo! or any other vendor/supplier of
product that is used for purposes other than what one considers "decent"
seems totally irrelevant.

Pornographers don't INVENT the technology, they only use it. And use it
well. They are most often among the earliest of adapters. If you are old
enough to remember the late 70s early 80s, VCRs were first coming into the
market. Who were the first real players in the content for such devices -
the dirty movie makers, of course! Hollywood was too afraid of what video
might do to the box office receipts, and were very slow to get on the
bandwagon. But the pornographers found it a great way of getting their
product out of the dingy inner city theaters and into suburbia.

When CD-ROMS came out a few years later - all the content kings were scared
stiff that, by putting their content on a disk they would lose control of
it. Who were among the first to use this technology effectively? You bet -
the porn pushers.

When the internet came out - who had the most content the earliest? Yup, you
guessed it. Who now is pushing the envelope and finding the best ways to
improve speed and reliability of content streamed around the world? The same
guys ...

And I bet if we looked back in time, some of the earliest printed books
would not be ones you'd find in the Vatican Library!

The moral of all this? Technology is technology. I think most broadcast TV
is crap, but does that mean I condemn the entire medium? No. It means I
admire people who adapt technology early, who stretch it to the limits, and
who pave the way for the sniveling cowards who eventually take advantage of
the work done by the pioneers.

Back to work.

John

"Ninety percent of everything is crap." -- Theodore Sturgeon

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.