Re: Clippy's Demise

Subject: Re: Clippy's Demise
From: "Bill McClain" <bmcclain -at- ibss -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:39:28 -0400

Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com> wrote:

> Just read this in the NY Times. Clippy is about to become one of the
> dot.com unemployed.

I'm one of the few people I know who liked that darn paperclip and its
pals (the Einstein clone, the robot, etc.) -- but then, I liked Jar Jar
Binks, so there's no accounting for tastes.

I actually found the animation *helpful* because I use a two-monitor
setup and, with all that screen area, it was convenient to have Clippy
going thru his gyrations to get my attention when an alert box popped up
that I otherwise might have overlooked.

It's to ponder that Microsoft gave all those different animation options
-- "actors," I believe MS called them -- but didn't give an option to
have the query-based help heuristic sans actor. Maybe they were too
much in love with the feature they'd created to easily part with it.
Goodness knows I've done that with my documentation once or twice!

Bill McClain

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
-Warning label on my son's Batman costume

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.