Re: ethics, morals in documentation?

Subject: Re: ethics, morals in documentation?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:20:04 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting. (BTW...I would stay also).

I believe in participating in as many different types of situations
as possible as you always learn something from one situation what you
can apply to another. It is also a well-known fact that some of these
sites are the most active, highest volume sites on the net and being
exposed (no pun intended) to this environment might show you
techniques that you wouldn't know about otherwise.

Chances are, if the client you are working for isn't a two-bit
operation, they're going to be very careful to not involve thenselves
in illegal content (pedo, etc), so you won't be doing anything that
is illegal.

These sites are businesses...maybe not the most savory product, but
they are on the cutting edge of web content delivery and e-commerce
and you might learn something.

--- anon <unknownidca -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I thought I'd share a strange little situation from
> work. Yesterday myself and several other staff were
> called into a meeting and asked if we'd have any
> problems modifying our product for a company that can
> best be described as a porn empire.
>
> Our managers were very earnest, explaining that we
> wouldn't be exposed to objectionable content. We'd
> only have to 'wipe clean' any mention of our company
> and product name. Then we would modify the interface
> and the online help to suit the customer's needs.
>
> I've never been exposed to anything even remotely
> resembling an 'ethical dilemma'. However, I think that
> this qualifies as a 'moral issue'.
>
> Does it matter who uses our documentation? Or what
> it's used to accomplish? Is it common for companies to
> give employees the choice between participating and
> not participating in a project? If so, what are some
> of the repercussions of not participating?
>
> I've already made my own decision to participate in
> this project. I thought, however, that describing the
> situation might stir up some interesting debate.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.