RE: Open Source Project Management Tool

Subject: RE: Open Source Project Management Tool
From: Andy Becraft <andy -at- trados -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:14:15 -0800

Heather,

Like Sandy, we use CVS as our versioning tool for both code and
documentation. One thing that one must bear in mind is that both VSS and CVS
were originally intended to manage code, and therefore handle text-based
files such much better than they handle common file formats used in
documentation such as FrameMaker and Word.

If your documentation uses a text-based format such as HTML or XML, then CVS
shouldn't present any problems, and would provide a number advantages over
VSS and many advantages over NOT using such a system at all. If your
documentation is in FrameMaker (binary) or Word (who knows?), the
line-by-line versioning that these tools perform will not work, and their
value diminishes significantly. I'm sure someone will say, "Well, you can
always save out the Frame files as MIFs and the Word files as RTFs (both of
which are text-based)," but doing so every time you check something into the
repository can be a big hassle.

Good luck!

-Andrew