Send to T-write list

Subject: Send to T-write list
From: Andy Mottershead <andy -dot- mottershead -at- widelearning -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:08:48 -0000

Angie,

=============================
Anyway, I'm preparing now to go out and be interviewed for jobs. I
must
admit I'm a bit nervous because I'll be straight out of a MA program
for
Tech & Prof Comm. I have written online content, proposals, an
employee
handbook, and a few software tutorials. I have also designed and
edited
several Web sites. However, I'm feeling that I'll need much more to
succeed.

Are there any Technical Publications Managers in the group who could
tell me
what type of portfolio materials you expect from graduates students
of TPC
programs?

Is it customary for technical communicators to be asked to take a
writing
test?

Thanks,
Angie
==============================

I've worked as a tech author for about 15 years and worked at a number of
companies. I've attended loads of interviews and I've been tasked with a
writing test on two occasions only.

Personally, I do not take this approach when recruiting authors. I prefer to
look at a well prepared portfolio and CV. And if the CV/portfolio match my
requirements, I would then look at the candidates personality - which is
very important (will the candidate fit the company culture, will I be able
to work well with this person, etc.).

The portfolio probably depends on the role you are looking for. My last
portfolio demonstrated my web work, on-line help projects, HTML-based doc
library and FAQ project, etc.

I hope this is useful. If you need further information, please feel free to
send me an email.

Regards,

Andy Mottershead
Head of Technical Authoring

andy -dot- mottershead -at- widelearning -dot- com
www.widelearning.com