Re: state of TWers

Subject: Re: state of TWers
From: "Robert B Kennedy" <bobbykennedy44 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 06:23:14 -0500

<Bal said:>

I view the economy as going through a very healthy, much needed sanity
check.
Over the past 3 years, I often told my wife that I was amazed at the way so
many
people bought into all the dot.coms that lived off the money of investors
and
viewed profit as some distant holy grail. I wondered whether it was a
pyramid
scheme run amok.

I couldn't agree more -- I've been amazed at the mismanagement in IT in
the less than 2 years I've been a TW. My first contract: I was hired over
the phone by a large, prestigious software developer that was flush
with its own success and I was "supervised" by a programmer who didn't
care if I worked or not. Ditto my second position, at a prestigious
newspaper
publisher: hired for a 6-month contract, I too often sat around looking for
work.

NOW I work for a startup backed by 2 big international companies in France
and England. The first week I began, I had someone from Products stop in
the Security office and say "Wow, we really need your services...." then
Sales,
now Engineering... but no one wanted to commit to paying for me because
they were busy filling out "essential" staff. Looks like I'm going captive
with
Engineering and the doc work has piled up to the ceiling! SO EVEN WHERE
THEY NEED OUR WORK, THEY CAN DEFER, DELAY, PROSCRATINATE, ETC,
and we'll "go into the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans!" (For the
proper
wage, of course.)