RE: Html vs. Pdf

Subject: RE: Html vs. Pdf
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:09:28 -0700

Here's 2 cents for this thread.

I don't think it should really be an issue of one or the other,
HTML or PDF. You should do both. With today's tools, there's no
reason not to...

PDF gives your customers the flexibility to print out the pages
that they want in a nice format that you, the writer, have specified.

HTML allows them to jump around quickly and cross-reference
things. Combine the two by adding a simple <A href="some.pdf">
link in to get from HTML to the "owning" PDF file for when the
user wants nice printable copy to read on the plane, on the bus,
or in certain rooms of the house without network connections.

For example, I'm working on a project now where (some of) our
source is in FrameMaker. FM allows us easily to create PDF files
laid out in a nice printable fashion. I'm using mif2go -- but
could use WebWorks Publisher -- to export from FM into a decent
mini-HTML system using standard HTML (although MS HTML-Help,
RTF/Winhelp are other options.) Each topic has a link to its
"owning" PDF file.

I write once and use multiple times.

I will say that I agree with the comments regarding reading PDF
online. I hate it, too. It's too small. If you enlarge it,
scrolling is wierd. However, I can print it out and not waste any
paper (if the PDF was done correctly).

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com