Re: .WMF or .EMF graphics

Subject: Re: .WMF or .EMF graphics
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:08:03 -0600

>Does anyone know of a program that can open
>(GIF, JPG, BMP, etc) and save it as a WMF or
>EMF (Windows Meta Format) file?
>
>PaintShop Pro can save with the file extension
>but it really saves it as a raster file not
>a true vector graphic.

Oy, Pete, you don't want much, do you?

GIF, JPeG and BMP are *not* vector graphic files. There is no vector
information in them. They are strictly bit-mapped (raster) images. So, what
you're looking for is an application that can look at a pattern of bits,
and decide what bits are part of which vector, then convert those bits into
vectors.

These applications exist, but it ain't as simple as "save as WMF" me boy.
These applications are the image equivalent of OCR (Optical Character
Recognition) software, and they are about as prone to error. The settings
you choose, and the quality (and complexity) of the images themselves, will
have a terrific effect on your results.

The package I'm most familiar with is Adobe Streamline. You set parameters
such as default line width, curve smoothing and the like, and hit the
button. If you're lucky, your first pass results in something usable;
otherwise you change the parameters and start again.

(EMF??? I always thought that was Electro-Magnetic Field.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224