Using your resources (was resource for sayings)

Subject: Using your resources (was resource for sayings)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:34:30 -0600

I wonder sometimes how many people on this list actually know how to use a
search engine. I went to Google and typed in:

"straight from the horse's mouth" origin

and in less time than it took to write the original e-mail was presented
with 238 hits, the first page of which contained at least three which went
straight to the point, and two of which were "phrase origin" sites.

"rule of thumb" origin

hit the jackpot with over 20,000 hits, and once again the first page had
several "phrase origin" sites.

I always thought that tech writers were curious folk, inclined to find
things out and tell others about what they found. The Internet is a
wondrous information resource; we really should try using it from time to
time, if for no other reason than to keep our own researching skills sharp.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224