256 Windows default colors in Photoshop

Subject: 256 Windows default colors in Photoshop
From: "Reng, Winfried" <winfried -dot- reng -at- msi-muenchen -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:23:23 +0200

Hi,

My monitor is set to 256 colors. When I take screenshots
I either save them as TIF or just copy them into the
clipboard and then into a new Photoshop file (Photoshop 5.5).
Then I change the color mode to indexed colors and assign
the Windows default color table.
However then the colors change. They get little dots to
make areas brighter etc.
The same happens when I assign web colors (which means my
own color table with 216 colors). But there are less
changes.

For me this means that both Photoshop color tables are
different from the Windows default colors.

Additionally what I´ve read is that the web colors are a
subset from the Windows and Mac default colors.
The RGB values are a multiple of 51 (0/51/102/153/204/255).
However with indexed colors and Windows default color table
I cannot assign e.g. a color with 255/255/204.
When I set these RGB values and then check the RGB values I
get 255/255/170. So the value which definitely should be in
the color table is obviously not there.
This was confirmed by two others.

Should I throw away the Windows default color table? What´s
the reason? When I try the same with the Mac default color
table it works. Is the reason that Photoshop doesn´t want to
support Windows users and intentionally delivered a faulty
color table?
Where is a correct Windows default color table?

Many thanks for any info,

Winfried