Re: Tech writer market

Subject: Re: Tech writer market
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:53:24 -0800

Tom Murrell wrote:

> My personal feeling is that I shouldn't be under any obligation to return an
> unsoliticted phone call or email, especially if I'm not on the market. Just
> because I support the resume bank at TECHWR-L, which clearly states that I'm
> not on the market at the moment, doesn't mean, to me, that I owe a return of a
> call or email. But perhaps I'm hurting myself in the future.
>
> No question that if I was out on the market I would be returning these calls
> and at least considering what was on the other side. But I'm not, even though
> my resume is posted in a couple of places. (Make me a tremendous offer, and I
> will consider it seriously, but I'm not soliciting anything at the moment.)

I'm in a very similar situation. When I receive calls that I don't
want, I grumble about them, but I always return them. If I want a
reputation in the marketplace for reliability (and let's face it,
that's part of what you sell as a contractor), I have to exercise it
all the time, not just when it's convenient for me. And politeness,
I figure, is never misplaced.

Besides, even though I don't need the calls now, I know too well how
quickly an apparently secure position can disappear. A budget cut,
an investor pulling out, and I can be on the pavement with a few
hours' notice. The headhunter I blow off one day may be needed as an
ally the next day.

"I never felt myself along, nor truly felt afraid,
Until the hour I understood, by friends we are betrayed,
Whose precious mouths are stopped with food, who cannot meet our
eyes,
Who laugh abut their principles and brush them off like flies."
- Oysterband, "Moving On"