Re: flash?

Subject: Re: flash?
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:50:54 -0600

Annabelle Ioannides wrote: << Flash also allows interactivity, because just
reading and
looking at a web page is BORING and it's much more entertaining to interact
with it. >>

Watch everyone pounce on that statement. <g> You're telling a list of
thousands of writers that reading is boring? <shudder>

Entertainment is not always the point, and not everybody is bored by
reading non-interactive text.

I'm not immune to the charms of Flash: there's something to be said for
embedded (and anti-aliased!) fonts, and the artsy side of me likes the
special effects and music. And maybe some people are surfing the web when
there's nothing good on TV and they want some eye candy. But I would wager
that more people are surfing to get information. If I go to salon.com to
scoop up big chunks of interesting text, it drives me nuts to even have to
click "next page" links to get it all. If I had to navigate through a showy
Flash interface (and wait for it to load), I would REALLY get annoyed...

Christine