Re: Tech Writers Running Servers

Subject: Re: Tech Writers Running Servers
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:11:21 -0500

"Gilger.John" wrote:

> If it simply a matter of getting your files placed on the server and not a
> problem with server operations (uptime,etc.), just ask your friendly IS
> department to assign you a password (if necessary) for ftp access. ...
>
> This is how most web sites are administered at remote servers.

Yes, but FTP is insecure. The password is transmitted in the clear from
your system to the server. Anyone able to sniff packets between the two
can get the password and then do nasty things. If your university is at
all typical, lots of people will be able to do that, and some of them
probably will.

I'd use SSH (secure shell) for the remore connection and scp (secure copy),
which comes in any SSH package, for the file transfers.

Some info on this, including where to obtain Unix versions (client and server),
is at:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.8/doc/web.html#tools

I know little about Windows versions. See the ssh.com site or try a web
search for "putty".