RE: Software For Students

Subject: RE: Software For Students
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:04:02 -0500

<SNIP>
> This is not to say students shouldn't learn
> HTML/XML/SGML/xxxML. But a
> writing program shouldn't be teaching them. Maybe a Comp Sci
> class should
> offer page markup language classes. They are languages after all.

Some people would argue that they're not true languages, but that's neither
here nor there.

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for students to take a technical
writing course that covers only markup languages. We had to learn HTML as
part of our "Designing Online Information" course. The course taught us how
to write documentation that was meant to be viewed online as separate
topics, much like a Help system. We used HTML and created HTML-based,
browsable online documentation. Learning HTML was a natural part of the
broader scope of that class.

HTML is not difficult to learn (how many people have taught it to themselves
in a matter of a day or two?), so it would have been a waste of time to
devote an entire class to it in the professional writing program I was in.

Megan Rock
Technical Writer
FANUC Robotics North America, INC.

Views presented and opinions held are not necessarily those of my friends,
family, or employer.