Re: Software for Students, Take 2

Subject: Re: Software for Students, Take 2
From: <fffish -at- zkey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:33:32 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:34:57 -0500, "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- naxs -dot- net> wrote:
> As I understand it (again, I write mostly software manuals so this is outside
> my framework), the three nominees in the category of "Short Document
> Design Software" are PM, Quark, and InDesign. For the few newsletters
> I've done, I used Word with lots of tables or Frame, so what do I know?
>
> I checked the archives and didn't find much commentary on ID except for
> a long debate over its relation to the often-rumored end of Frame and
> a few comments about it not being quite ready for prime time. Most comments
> lean toward Quark, though there were hints of compatibility problems there.

You might want to consider using Corel Ventura. Yes, it still exists, and yes, it's
better than ever. It's at least as stable as FrameMaker, and has some important
additional functionality.

It's well-suited for both long- and short-document layout. It comes with
PhotoPaint, which--while having a user interface that's completely unlike
Photoshop--is at least as powerful as Photoshop and, again, has some important
additional functionality.

It comes with Database Publisher, which is the best automatic document creation
that exists. It makes catalog publication unbelievably easy.

And, finally, the Corel users group
(news://cnews.corel.ca/corel.graphic_apps.ventura8) is friendly, full of experts,
and incredibly helpful to all and sundry.

With two purchases (Ventura and Draw), your students will have fully-functioning
(no features disabled) applications that will take them whereever they want to
go, at a price that can't be beat.