RE: Software For Students

Subject: RE: Software For Students
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:55:31 -0600

One thing to consider is to expose them to as many types of software with as
many different interfaces as possible.

The more practice they have in learning new tools, the better prepared they
will be.

One thing I found problematic as an undergrad writing student was that there
did not seem to be very much emphasis on the skills needed for gathering the
information. We did have to take a basic news writing class (from the
journalism department) that taught interviewing skills. I highly recommend
requiring something like that if it's at all possible.

Encourage them to study technical subjects outside of your writing program.
I believe it was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., who told a class of aspiring writers at
a university to major in anything except English.