Re: active voice v. passive voice

Subject: Re: active voice v. passive voice
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:03:01 -0700

I don't need a US government style guide, and I've downloaded a number of
good arguments off the archives, but I would like to present my co-worker
with a more rational reason why we should do it my way other than 'Everyone
knows', 'Here are some other people who agree with me', or 'I'm the
technical writer, just do it my way'.

Then you can probably pick up just about any tech-writing text book and get just what you need. Do you really have to justify to a coworker how you present information? If he can't accept that you understand the standards of your discipline (as in when to employ active voice and 2nd person, or any other perspective, for that matter), it's either tough toenails for him (if he's just a coworker) or tough toenails for you (if he's your boss).

Scriptorium's book _Technical Writing 101_ has some guidelines to this effect, if you need a live example. I bet John Renish's bibliography has a bunch of tech writing books that'll say the same.

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com