RE: Help: '97 to 2000 Access question

Subject: RE: Help: '97 to 2000 Access question
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:29:28 -0600

> Sue Gallagher wrote:
> I used Word 2000 at my last job and was *way* less
> than happy with it. They've gotten rid of the Multiple
> Document Interface, y'know, so each time you open a
> document you spawn a new instance of Word. They broke
> line feeds so that top and bottom paragraph borders
> show up between lines... I'm sticking with '97 for
> a while.

I'm just the opposite. I could have stuck with the Multiple Document
Interface if they would have made it a little easier to switch between
documents (Control+F6 is too awkward for me). I once requested to Microsoft
that they implement an Adobe-style Control+Tab to switch between documents,
but they opted for new windows each time. Having two monitors, separate Word
windows also makes it easier to copy and paste between documents. I know
you can open multiple instances of Word 97, but 97 always seemed to get a
lot more fragile whenever I did that. I've never had occasion to notice the
change in line breaks.

One other thing I like about Word 2000 are the small changes they made to
make it simpler to manipulate tables. I use Word 97 at work, and sometimes
when I'm working with complicated tables I'll transfer the document to my
laptop long enough to make the changes and save in Word 97 mode. For me,
there's just enough of a change in Word 2000 that I'm prefer it over 97.

David